Custom Search

Shoutbox

You must login to post a message.

17/03/2018 21:26
Ladies - we should make more use of this website

14/07/2014 10:28
Can someone please put a link up to the IM draw

21/10/2013 14:33
Not sure Jenny, Gill is the person to ask as she is the Rep. Hoping the ladies still enter so we can get a team in 11s and hopefully 15s for 2014.

18/10/2013 13:12
How many ladies are entering the 2014 IM?

16/05/2013 22:20
Selection email have been sent.

02/05/2013 10:08
About And i will reschedule

02/05/2013 10:07
Girls the fundraiser I had organised is cancelled, fe other things happening on that day and I need to work as both my staff have decided to take holidays at the same time grrrrr can you all pass word

01/03/2013 21:13
I hope the tour doesnt go on that late Yvonne lol x

01/03/2013 16:44
11:00pm, car park outside red triangle cumbernauld!!!

22/02/2013 21:44
Time dat and venue gem for group hug? love

Fundraising

View Thread

Print Thread
Publication of Stats
yvonne
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01-10-2010 13:58
Super Admin

Picking up the thread on www.scottishpool.com regarding stats (link below), what do you ladies think about publication of all international stats?

http://www.scotti...rowstart=0
Scotland Ladies Manager
SPA Tournament Director

www.scottishladiespool.com
Gill
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01-10-2010 16:40

I, personally, agree with them being made available. They won't always tell the whole story but will give a fair indication!

Laura
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01-10-2010 17:05

100% agree with stats being published.

yvonne
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01-10-2010 17:50
Super Admin

Laura wrote:

Why?
Scotland Ladies Manager
SPA Tournament Director

Laura
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02-10-2010 14:33

yvonne wrote:
Laura wrote:

Why?

lol - Why not?

Stats are a decent indicator of performance, particularly in the ladies game where getting dished is less frequent. Tho that in itself is also a good stat to compile.

You wouldn't buy a car without checking it's stats i.e. average mpg, top speed,.......so why pick a team without looking at each individuals stats. Yes you may still choose one player over another because of other factors......to continue my car analogy, say safety factors,......so you may opt for a solid player who you can rely on to tap that last long black in at 10-10 in the final.

I also think it's about transparency. Stats will never pick a team but if someone is posting consistently good stats at each tourney then this has to be made available and form part of that decision process.

Benchmarking. How do current B2 players move up into the B1s. Consistent good stats has to be the basis behind that. Publish them, make it obvious to all, and then it's up to players to know what they have to achieve to progress.

At the end of the day, we all know each other and know roughly how everyone is doing anyway. By posting all stats consistently it means you're not just judged on your last tournament. If you haven't done that well but have been up in the 70+% previously then this is there in black and white. (or fancy colours if it's one of my spreadsheets!) Cool

Anyhoo, in summary. Stats = good.
They'll never show the full story but will give a good synopsis for future reference.

yvonne
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02-10-2010 14:56
Super Admin

Laura wrote:
yvonne wrote:
Laura wrote:

Why?

lol - Why not?

Stats are a decent indicator of performance, particularly in the ladies game where getting dished is less frequent. Tho that in itself is also a good stat to compile.

You wouldn't buy a car without checking it's stats i.e. average mpg, top speed,.......so why pick a team without looking at each individuals stats. Yes you may still choose one player over another because of other factors......to continue my car analogy, say safety factors,......so you may opt for a solid player who you can rely on to tap that last long black in at 10-10 in the final.

I also think it's about transparency. Stats will never pick a team but if someone is posting consistently good stats at each tourney then this has to be made available and form part of that decision process.

Benchmarking. How do current B2 players move up into the B1s. Consistent good stats has to be the basis behind that. Publish them, make it obvious to all, and then it's up to players to know what they have to achieve to progress.

At the end of the day, we all know each other and know roughly how everyone is doing anyway. By posting all stats consistently it means you're not just judged on your last tournament. If you haven't done that well but have been up in the 70+% previously then this is there in black and white. (or fancy colours if it's one of my spreadsheets!) Cool

Anyhoo, in summary. Stats = good.
They'll never show the full story but will give a good synopsis for future reference.

Thanks for the reply, any more thoughts ladies?
Scotland Ladies Manager
SPA Tournament Director

Gem
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02-10-2010 17:51

I agree with Laura. Everyone knows how everyone is doing. We are a close team and discuss our performances openly after matches and competitions. Given this, I do not see the relevance in keeping them a secret!

Plus, if our stats weren't published and we didn't count the exact ratio of games played/to matches won, we would have to text Yvo in order to get our exact stats. In turn, we may never ever know Shock
Edited by Gem on 02-10-2010 17:52

yvonne
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02-10-2010 21:11
Super Admin

Miss Clyde, the stats are never a secret lol, they are done after each event, for your information, I have the stats going back to 1996 on file (apart from a couple of events for the b girls that I am currently chasing and one match from the a girls from Brid; I was so hyper I left the folder laying on a table in the venue!).

The forum is about how you all feel about them being published on the main site for everyone to see and this will undoubtedly incur comments from the pool playing population. I am sure you have all read players being slated on the main site regarding their performance (normally our male counterparts though.

There is a link on this site which takes you to stats (although it needs updated).

The link above is worth a read through ladies and then I would appreciate comments from all international players.
Scotland Ladies Manager
SPA Tournament Director

Laura
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03-10-2010 08:33

Clyde wrote:
I agree with Laura.

Just thought this deserved to be in a post of it's own! A truly momentous occassion Wink
Edited by Laura on 03-10-2010 08:36

Claire
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03-10-2010 16:19
B Team

Assuming that an honest answer is required then I'd have to say I couldn't really care less either way lol x
There's always a finish!

Gem
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04-10-2010 08:33

Laura wrote:
Clyde wrote:
I agree with Laura.

Just thought this deserved to be in a post of it's own! A truly momentous occassion Wink

Damn! Caught me well and truly off guard there!
Edited by Gem on 04-10-2010 08:34

LynseyS
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04-10-2010 13:14

I think as a general rule players who have done well (stats wise) are going to want their stats published and players who haven't done so well won't really want them published. That's the way of the world. I just think that whatever decision is made, it has to be consistent. I.e. don't post stats for this tournament but not that one, etc. Stats can be a good indicator, but I think we all know that they can also not always reflect how a person was playing. Luck of the draw, playing better players, getting dished from the break (mostly for the boys this one, lol) etc.

I find myself on the fence like Claire. I don't really care either way x

Steenie
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04-10-2010 18:49

Super Admin

I'll need to remember how to update the stats on here. Think me n campo had an overall spreadsheet done up as well for all the events over the years.

We shall discuss in rhyl Sir cos i am sure there were stats from some comps missing
Mon The Blind Kid

www.scottishpool.com
yvonne
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04-10-2010 18:54
Super Admin

Yep there are a couple of b events missing, im trying to track these though but so far no luck. Apart from these, I have them all dating back to 1996 lol.
Scotland Ladies Manager
SPA Tournament Director

Elaine
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04-10-2010 22:12
Super Admin

Steenie wrote:
I'll need to remember how to update the stats on here. Think me n campo had an overall spreadsheet done up as well for all the events over the years.

We shall discuss in rhyl Sir cos i am sure there were stats from some comps missing

We did. I amalgamated them all and sent it to Yvo, but we definitely only ever had all the A team results at that stage. I don't recall ever having any B team ones to amalgamate. Not sure if even the A team one's been updated since or not tho. What I AM sure of tho is - this is definitely now a job for proper spreadsheet geek - I shall retire to my comfort blanket of webgeek world in deference to your superior spreadsheetness Laura Wink

It was pretty basic as I recall. I'd do it as a database type one now with what I've learnt since then.

yvonne
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04-10-2010 23:49
Super Admin

Elaine wrote:
Steenie wrote:

We did. I amalgamated them all and sent it to Yvo, but we definitely only ever had all the A team results at that stage. I don't recall ever having any B team ones to amalgamate. Not sure if even the A team one's been updated since or not tho. What I AM sure of tho is - this is definitely now a job for proper spreadsheet geek - I shall retire to my comfort blanket of webgeek world in deference to your superior spreadsheetness Laura Wink

It was pretty basic as I recall. I'd do it as a database type one now with what I've learnt since then.

Hiya Elaine, yes its up to date (apart from a couple of missing events for the b team and one match from the a girls (first one v england at Brid). I will send it on to you for your records.

They do make interesting reading.
Scotland Ladies Manager
SPA Tournament Director

ShonaL
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07-10-2010 13:15

I can see pro's and con's for both arguments really. But tbh if the stats are requested then you can see them so whats the hoo ha all about???? If its to do with this whole selection commitee thing then aslong as we're not asked to justify every little thing we do and have a panel of peeps telling us you cant do that and you can do that then we dont need it because Evo already has that and its called Me and Claire lmao......... But seriously, if its just the stats to be seen then we already do that so its nothing different is it ???????

Jump to Forum:

Forum Threads Cloud

Render time: 0.14 seconds
24,991,251 unique visits